Katherine Kortsmit,Tara C Jatlaoui,Michele G Mandel,Jennifer A Reeves,Titilope Oduyebo,Emily Petersen,Maura K Whiteman


You are watching: How many abortions were performed in 2018

Katherine Kortsmit,Tara C Jatlaoui,Michele G Mandel,Jennifer A Reeves,Titilope Oduyebo,Emily Petersen,Maura K Whiteman

Problem/condition: CDC conducts abortion surveillance to record the number and also characteristics of females obtaining legal induced abortions and number of abortion-related deaths in the joined States.

period covered: 2018.

summary of system: each year, CDC requests abortion data indigenous the main health agencies because that 50 states, the district of Columbia, and brand-new York City. For 2018, 49 reporting areas voluntarily listed aggregate abortion data come CDC. That these, 48 report areas noted data each year during 2009-2018. Census and also natality data were used to calculate abortion rates (number the abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44 years) and ratios (number the abortions every 1,000 live births), respectively. Abortion-related deaths indigenous 2017 were assessed as component of CDC"s pregnancy Mortality Surveillance device (PMSS).

Results: A full of 619,591 abortions because that 2018 to be reported come CDC native 49 report areas. Among 48 reporting locations with data each year throughout 2009-2018, in 2018, a full of 614,820 abortions to be reported, the abortion rate was 11.3 abortions every 1,000 women aged 15-44 years, and also the abortion ratio was 189 abortions every 1,000 live births. From 2017 come 2018, the total number of abortions and abortion rate raised 1% (from 609,095 complete abortions and from 11.2 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44 years, respectively), and the abortion ratio enhanced 2% (from 185 abortions per 1,000 live births). Indigenous 2009 come 2018, the total variety of reported abortions, abortion rate, and also abortion ratio reduced 22% (from 786,621), 24% (from 14.9 abortions every 1,000 women aged 15-44 years), and also 16% (from 224 abortions every 1,000 live births), respectively. In 2018, ladies in their 20s accounting for more than half of abortions (57.7%). In 2018 and during 2009-2018, ladies aged 20-24 and also 25-29 year accounted for the highest percentages the abortions; in 2018, castle accounted because that 28.3% and 29.4% that abortions, respectively, and had the highest abortion rates (19.1 and also 18.5 per 1,000 ladies aged 20-24 and also 25-29 years, respectively). Through contrast, teens aged 13 weeks" gestation continued to be consistently low (≤9.0%). In 2018, the highest possible proportion of abortions were performed by operation abortion in ~ ≤13 weeks" gestation (52.1%), adhered to by at an early stage medical abortion in ~ ≤9 weeks" gestation (38.6%), surgical abortion at >13 weeks" gestation (7.8%), and also medical abortion at >9 weeks" gestation (1.4%); every other approaches were unusual (

*



See more: How Many Garlic Cloves A Day To Fight Infection, Can 2 Garlic Cloves A Day Keep The Doc Away