It was 2 years agotoday that the top Washington Monument reopened to the general public after it to be damaged through a 2011 earthquake. The Monument has actually been a magnet for historical occurrences, and here are some highlights.
You are watching: How is the washington monument held together
The 5.8 size struck on August, 22, 2011, and the historical monument was one of the high-profile victims.
Secretary that the interior Sally Jewell, national Park organization Director Jonathan B. Jarvis, charity David Rubenstein, and also National shopping mall & Memorial Parks Superintendent Bob Vogel to be at the reopening ceremony critical year.
Rubenstein’s generosity contributions helped moved the restoration job forward. Jarvis claimed in a statement that Rubenstein joined an exceptional line the civic-minded donors, such together Stephen Mather, john D. Rockefeller, Jr., and also Andrew Carnegie, who made contribute to the national park system.
The Washington Monument officially was devoted on February 21, 1885. In a speech created for that occasion by Robert Winthrop, that attended the groundbreaking consciousness in 1845, there to be one memorable line: “An earthquake may shake its structures ... Yet the character which it commemorates and also illustrates is secure."
That’s not the only amazing fact or coincidence about the top monument. Below are 10 much more fascinating facts about this American symbol.
1. James Madison had an early function in obtaining the monument project started. In 1833, the Washington national Monument Society, a exclusive organization, came up through the idea for the tribute come the an initial President. Madison along with Supreme Court chief Justice man Marshall started the society.
2. The very first monument style featured a rotunda and a Roman-like George Washington. The initial winning bid come from architect Robert Mills, who designed a level topped pillar with a statue of Washington in a chariot, along with statues the 30 establishing Fathers. The present obelisk architecture was propose in 1876.
3. The Masons, and the Pope, were involved with the monument. Yes, the complimentary Masons were connected in the cornerstone ceremony and they used Washington’s masonic signs in the ceremony. At the 1848 ceremony were 20,000 people, and a container that held duplicates of the Constitution, the declaration of Independence and other objects was buried in the cornerstone.
4. Abraham Lincoln to be at the 1848 cornerstone ceremony. The eclectic guest list contained three James Buchanan, Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, Dolley Madison and Alexander Hamilton’s widow, Betsey Hamilton, and also of course, the then-current President, James K. Polk.
5. So just how does the Pope right into all of this? The society asked for civilization to donate ceremonial stones as component of the building and construction process. Pope Pius IX donated a memorial stone of marble, i m sorry infuriated the anti-Catholic recognize Nothing Party. The recognize Nothings acquired their revenge by rigging the leadership election because that the Washington national Monument Society. Congress reduced off monument resources for 5 years until the know Nothings left the group.
6. Nothing happened to the monument for a 22-year period. after the understand Nothing take on in the 1850s, the monument came to be stalled come the allude that that was offered as a slaughter yard and also cattle pen throughout the civil War. Conference took over the project in 1876.
7. It take it the U.S. Army Corps of designers to gain the job done. The engineers were referred to as in to work with Lt. Col. Cutting board Lincoln Casey to modify the initial ornate plans. The monument’s stripped-down, skinny look was component of a cost-cutting effort. On December 6, 1884, one aluminum cap, provided as a lighting-protection, device was inserted on top. In February 1885, the dedication ceremony take it place.
8. The Monument was the world’s tallest structure when it was dedicated. The Washington Monument as devoted stood in ~ 555 feet 5 customs tall. The Cologne Cathedral had been the world’s tallest fabricated structure. The Eiffel Tower soon surpassed the Monument.
9. The Monument is an engineering marvel. The Washington Post recently discussed an interesting fact in an on-going debate around the Monument together the world’s tallest free-standing stonework structure. The Monument’s marble blocks are hosted together by simply gravity and friction, and also no mortar was offered in the process.
10. The Washington Monument: Movie star.
See more: How Many People Have Died From Tss, Update: Toxic
Nothing states “location shot” in a film favor the Washington Monument, especially when the symbol is under strike from aliens and also terrorists, or provided as a backdrop in a thriller or mystery. However maybe the most memorable appearance, in a real-life moment, developed in august 1963, as soon as the Dr. Young name Luther King Jr. Speak on the shopping mall in Washington, with the Lincoln Memorial stage facing the Monument.